WHAT IS Women Business Owners of the Triangle?
Women Business Owners Network of the Triangle was begun 24 years ago and is a non-profit whose primary purpose is to provide scholarship funds to women in business. In addition to scholarship funds, WBON provides opportunities for growth through regular monthly meetings. These meetings provide carefully chosen speakers that encourage, inspire, motivate and educate women in the basic areas of business and personal development as well as regular opportunities to network with other women business owners.
How and What Criteria is Used to Award Scholarship Funds?
Scholarship recipients are chosen by an impartial panel of judges independent of the Board of Directors of WBON of the Triangle.
To be considered for WBON scholarship funds a business owner must:
Be a minimum of a 51% owner (tax return or organizing documents required as proof)
Have been in business for at least one year in Wake, Orange and Durham Counties, North Carolina
Have clearly defined company objectives/goals with explicit reasons for seeking funds
Have attended a WBON meeting or event in the 12 months prior to the application deadline
Have completed the online short description of how the scholarship will or has benefited your business on the WBON website and social media.Scholarship recipients will receive a complimentary one year membership to WBON of the Triangle. Scholarship award amount is $2,000
- The WBON of the Triangle scholarship application must be submitted by 5:00 pm on April 30, 2020.
- The recipient must be present at the June meeting to claim the award.
- The amount of the scholarship will be held in escrow until an invoice has been submitted for payment to the Scholarship Chairperson
- The funds must be used exclusively for educational purposes to include classes, seminars, books/cd's, and training or certifications that enhance business as described in the application.
- Funds for travel, technology, web sites, meals and staff support cannot be accepted.
- Funds must be utilized within a 24 month period or funds will otherwise be forfeited (May 2022)
- (exception would be written notice no less than one month in advance - April 2022 of recipients intention to utilize funds yet to be allocated - request subject to Board Approval)
To apply for the 2020 WBON of the Triangle scholarship, click the link below:application form, essay and submitted 3 written references no later than 5:00 p.m. on April 30, 2020.
If you are selected as a 2020/2021 scholarship recipient your responsibilities will be:
Be present for the awarding of the scholarship at the June luncheon 2020.
Be available throughout the year to help promote scholarship at WBON fundraisers (spring and fall) and occasional luncheons
Be willing to allow your photograph and a video presentation